Jones Justice Means We Are Passionate About Doing Right By You

Giving Pedestrians Guidance After Their Hit-And-Run Accident

Getting hit by a car while on a walk can leave you with catastrophic injuries that last a lifetime. If the driver who hit you flees the scene of the accident, the cost of your recovery may fall onto you. When you are the victim of a hit-and-run as a pedestrian, you will likely have a lot of questions about seeking justice. At the Law Office of Jeffrey A. Jones, P.A., we are highly skilled trial lawyers with decades of experience inside and outside the courtroom. Here are answers to a few questions we are frequently asked about pedestrian accidents and injuries.  After reading through this information, contact us for a free consultation to get the legal advice you need.

What is a hit-and-run?

A hit-and-run is when a motorist hits another person, car or object with their vehicle and flees the scene without rendering medical aid to the victim or providing their information like their driver’s license, car insurance and other necessary information.

Is a hit-and-run a felony in Minnesota?

The charges from a hit-and-run depend on the severity of the damages from the accident. The liable party could face serious felony charges if the evidence proves their actions or inaction to render aid caused bodily harm to your or death to your loved one.

What should you do in a hit-and-run?

Prompt action is key following any accident. If you are able to do so without causing more harm to yourself:

  • Call 911 or have someone nearby call on your behalf
  • Take note of the car’s identifying information, including make, model, color, license plate, and identifying bumper stickers or other markers like notable damage
  • Note which direction the fleeing vehicle took off in
  • Take photos or video of the vehicle if possible
  • Note the time, date and other details of the accident
  • Locate and talk to people who may have seen the accident
  • Record any available witness testimony
  • Obtain a police report

You may not find the driver who hit you right away, but following these steps will provide necessary information for filing your injury claim.

How do you report a hit-and-run?

Call 911 as soon as you are able or have someone call. When you call the police to report the injury, provide them with as much of the specific information about the driver and their car as possible. Try to remain calm so the person you speak with can collect the necessary information. Request medical attention at this time if you need it.

Should you get an attorney after a hit-and-run?

If you or a loved one has injuries after any kind of car accident, speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. As your legal representation, we can help you file a claim against the liable party for your injuries. We will also help you explore options of pursuing compensation from your own insurance company.

Call our Golden Valley office at 612-234-2992 or contact us online to learn more about your claim and how we can help you.