Jones Justice Means We Are Passionate About Doing Right By You

Common Questions After Losing A Loved One In A Wrongful Death

When the reckless or negligent actions of a driver cause your loved one to lose their life, finding the answers you need is vital in receiving the justice you and your loved one deserve after what happened. At the Law Office of Jeffrey A. Jones, P.A., we represent clients throughout Minnesota with compassionate representation backed by decades of legal experience. As we represent our clients in these delicate matters, we take the time to provide them with personalized representation and answer questions about their claims, such as:

What is a wrongful death lawsuit?

A wrongful death lawsuit can happen after someone dies because of someone else’s actions. The goal of these lawsuits is to seek compensation to cover the costs of the loss of life, the decedents lost future contributions, medical and burial expenses, and emotional hardship. While money cannot replace the loss of a loved one, these claims can hold a liable party accountable for their actions.

How long can you wait to file these lawsuits?

In Minnesota, if the loss of life was the result of unintentional actions, the surviving spouse, children, parents or siblings can file a wrongful death claim within three years of the date of passing. However, if the loss of life was intentional, the deadline is extended to six years.

Who can you sue for a wrongful death suit in Minnesota?

Depending on the nature of the accident, you may be able to file a claim against several different parties. The most common liable party is the individual who directly caused the accident, but if that person was working when the accident happened, you may be able to file a claim against their employer. Similarly, if the accident was ultimately the result of a defective product, you may be able to bring a claim against the manufacturer.

Who gets the money in a wrongful death suit?

Not everyone can file a wrongful death claim because wrongful death claims only pay out to the decedent’s immediate family. The people who are able to collect on these benefits are the surviving spouse, the decedent’s children, siblings and parents.

How to file a wrongful death lawsuit?

If you lost a loved one in an accident that was caused by someone’s reckless or negligent actions, the first step is to contact our Golden Valley office to take the first step in filing your lawsuit. We can handle all the legal matters in your claim, so you can focus on your grieving process and carrying forward after your loss.

When you need compassionate, committed and experienced representation at your side in your wrongful death claim, call us at 612-234-2992 or reach out to us online. We are here for you when you need us.